1. Verbul - Sus 30 - Top 30 Verbs
I can only tell you that it is imperitive to memorize the following verbs and their conjugations in present, past and future - this will make your life 100x easier I promise - that's right -at this point we're not going to learn a lot of different gramatical rules - well you are learning them but in a subtle manner. Right now it's about learning through memorization and osmosis...
_____________________________________
Here's something that is very important to note as well. In romanian to do is often implied and unlike english it is not necessary to repeat this verb. You'll see as we go but here's an example -
--------------------------------
First the infinitive (infinitiv) forms of the top verbs - memorize, memorize and then, even if they are unaware of the proper pronunciation, ask a friend to quiz you.
1. a fi - to be
2. a avea - to have
3. a putea - to be able to (can)
4. a trebuie - to have to, must, ought to
5. a face - to do (make)
6. a nevoie de - to have a need for
7. a dori - to wish for
8. a vrea - to want
9. a da - to give
10. a lua - to take
11. a sti - to know
12. a învata - to learn
13. a vorbi - to speak
14. a citi - to read
15. a scrie - to write
16. a trimite - to send
17. a telefona, a suna - to telephone, to call
18.a lucra - to work
19. a vedea - to see
20. a se uita - to look at, to watch
21. a auzi - to hear
22. a asculta - to listen
23. a merge, a se duce - to go
24. a pleca - to have gone (went)
25. a manca -to eat
26. a bea - to drink
27. a plati - to pay
28. a spune - to say
29. a sta - to stay
30. a locui - to reside
Now before you go ahead and memorize the verbs in their present (prezent,) past (trecut) and future (viitor) forms - READ THIS
Prezent - Present
There are many different forms of verbs. Some end in i, some end in ă, some end in e, etc. There are many different rules which will be detailed later but it's not necessary to know them just yet. We're going for the subtle approach here - learning by memorization and osmosis at this point. Without even knowing it, you will start to see patterns.
Trecut - Past
Memorize the following prefixs and add the (trecut participiu) past participle, it's as simple as that.
eu am + trecut participiu (past participle)
tu ai + trecut participiu
el, ea a + trecut participiu
noi am + trecut participiu
voi ați + trecut participiu
ei, ele au + trecut participiu
example (examplu)
a scrie - to write, pp = scris - Eu am scris o scrisoare. = "I have written a letter." or "I wrote a letter."
a vorbi - to speak, pp = vorbit - El a vorbit cu Mihai. = "He has spoken with Mihai". or "He spoke with Mihai."
VIITOR
There are two ways to say and write the future tense. Depending upon your learning style, choose the method that works best for you. Ultimately it will be to your benefit to know both but choosing one method to start is more productive.
Option 1 - the popular form (once you have memorized the conjugated verbs) is to put 'o sa' in front of the conjugated form of the verb.
examplu -
Prezent - Viitor Popular
eu beau/I drink - o să beau/I will drink
tu bei/you drink - o să bei/you will drink
el/ea bea/he she it drinks - o să bea/he she it will drink
noi bem/we drink - o să bem/we will drink
voi beţi (dvs)/you drink - o să beţi/you will drink
ei/ele beau/they drink - o să bea/they will drink
Option 2 - another way is to use the infinitive form with a prefix that corresponds to the pronoun. Memorize the following and attach the infinitive form. It is not necessary when speaking to say aloud both the pronoun and the future indicator.
examplu -
Viitor
(eu) voi bea - I will drink
(tu) vei bea - you will drink
(el/ea) va bea - he she it will drink
(noi) vom bea - we will drink
(voi) veţi bea - you (dvs) will drink
(ei/ele) vor bea - they will drink
_____________________________________
So now let's start the memorization process - rewriting these, saying them aloud, whatever works for you....
and of course you can follow along the interactive CD or quiz yourself using the Einstein program - Section Verbs Top 30+
1. a fi = to be
PREZENT
eu sunt - I am
tu esti - you are
el, ea este - he, she, it is
noi suntem - we are
voi sunteți - you (dvs) are
ei, ele sunt - they are
TRECUT
eu am fost - I was
tu ai fost - you were
el/ea a fost - he, she, it was
noi am fost - we were
voi aţi fost - you (dvs) were
ei/ele au fost - they were
VIITOR
eu voi fi - i will be
tu vei fi - you will be
el/ea va fi - he she it will be
noi vom fi - we will be
voi veţi fi - you will be (dvs)
ei/ele vor fi - they will be
2. a avea = to have
PREZENT
eu am - i have
tu ai - you have
el, ea are - he, she, it has
noi avem - we have
voi aveți - you (dvs) have
ei, ele au - they have
TRECUT - avut
eu am avut - I had
tu ai avut - you had
el/ea a avut - he she it had
noi am avut - we had
voi aţi avut- you (dvs) had
ei/ele au avut - they had
VIITOR
eu voi - I will have
tu vei - you will have
el/ea va - he she it will have
noi vom - we will have
voi veţi - you (dvs) will have
ei/ele vor - they will have
3. a putea - to be able to (can)
PREZENT
eu pot - I can, am able to
tu poți - you can, are able to
el, ea poate - he, she, it can, is able to
noi putem - we can, are able to
voi puteți - you (dvs) can, are able to
ei, ele pot - they can, are able to
TRECUT - putut
eu am putut - I was able to
tu ai putut - you were able to
el/ea a putut - he she it was able to
noi am putut - we were able to
voi aţi putut - you (dvs) were able to
ei/ele au putut - they were able to
VIITOR
eu voi putea - I will be able to
tu vei putea - you will be able to
el/ea va putea - he she it will be able to
noi vom putea - we will be able to
voi veţi putea - you (dvs) will be able to
ei/ele vor putea - they will be able to
4. a trebui - to have to, must, ought to do - NOTE conjugating this verb is easy - it's the only verb like this which has a very simple form. This is an exception.
PREZENT
eu trebuie - I must
tu trebuie - you must
ea, el, trebuie - he, she, it must
noi trebuie - we must
voi trebuie - you (dvs) must
ei, ele trebuie - they must
TRECUT - trebuit
eu a trebuit - I had to
tu a trebuit - you had to
el/ea a trebuit - he she it had to
noi a trebuit - we had to
voi a trebuit - you (dvs) had to
ei/ele a trebuit - they had to
VIITOR
eu vă trebui - I will have to
tu vătrebui - you will have to
el/ea vă trebuiască - he she it will have to
noi vă trebui - we will have to
voi vă trebui - you (dvs) will will have to
ei/ele vă trebuiască - they will have to
5. a avea nevoie - to have a need for - Yep here's another exception. When you have a need for an object such as food, water etc. use this verb with de.... Eu am nevoie de batiste. - I need tissues. Usually when you have to do something though you use trebuie. So here only shown is the conjugation for prezent.
PREZENT
eu am nevoie de __________ - I have a need for __________
tu ai nevoie de __________ - you have a need for __________
el/ea are nevoie de __________ - he she it has a need for __________
noi avem nevoie de __________ - we have a need for __________
voi aveţi nevoie de __________ - you (dvs) have a need for
ei/ele au nevoie de __________ - they have a need for __________
From this point on only the present forms of the verbs will be noted and it's time for the first written exercise. Following the example below. Rewrite all the verbs in the present form and then put them in past and future. Write out all the verbs in the conjugated forms in the 3 tenses that we discussed. Choose 1 method for the future. Unless of course your a sadist and want to write out both.
Follow this example with verb #6 - a face - to do, make (tp = facut - did)
eu fac - i do
tu faci - you do
el, ea face - he, she, it does
noi facem - we do
voi faceți - you (dvs) do
ei, ele fac - they do
am facut - i did
ai facut - you did
a facut - he she it did
am facut - we did
ați facut - you (dvs) did
au facut - they did
o să fac - I will do ____
o să faci - you will do ____
o să face - he she it will do ____
o să facem - we will do ____
o să faceți - you (dvs) will do ____
o să fac - they will do _____
So now you get the picture right? Hence forward is prezent tense only.
7. a dori (esc) - to wish for (tp = dorit - wished for)
PREZENT
eu doresc - I wish for
tu doresti - you wish for
el, ea doreste - he, she, it wishes for
noi dorim - we wish for
voi doriți - you (dvs) wish for
ei, ele doresc - they wish for
8. a vrea - to want (tp = vrut - wanted)
PREZENT
eu vreau - I want
tu vrei - you want
el, ea vrea - he, she, it wants
noi vrem - we want
voi vreți - you (dvs) want
ei, ele vor - they want
9. a da - to give (tp=dat - gave)
PREZENT
eu dau - I give
tu dai - you give
el, ea da - he, she, it gives
noi dam - we give
voi dați - you (dvs) give
ei, ele da- they give
10. a lua - to take (tp = luat - took)
PREZENT
eu iau - I take
tu iei - you take
el, ea ia- he, she, it takes
noi luam - we take
voi luați- you (dvs) take
ei, ele iau - they take
11. a sti - to know (tp=stiut - knew)
PREZENT
eu stiu - I know
tu stii- you know
el, ea stie - he, she, it knows
noi stim - we know
voi stiți - you (dvs) know
ei, ele stiu- they know
12. a învața - to learn (tp=învațat - learned)
PREZENT
eu învaț - I learn
tu înveți - you learn
el, ea învata - he, she, it learns
noi învatam - we learn
voi învătați - you (dvs) learn
ei, ele învața - they learn
13. a vorbi (esc) - to speak (tp=vorbit - spoke)
PREZENT
eu vorbesc - I speak
tu vorbesti - you speak
el, ea vorbeste - he, she, it speaks
noi vorbim - we speak
voi vorbiți - you (dvs) speak
ei, ele vorbesc - they speak
14. a citi (esc) - to read (tp=citit - read)
PREZENT
eu citesc- I read
tu citesti- you read
el, ea citeste - he, she, it reads
noi citim - we read
voi citiți- you (dvs) read
ei, ele citesc - they read
15. a scrie - to write (tp=scris - wrote)
PREZENT
eu scriu - I
tu scrii - you
el, ea scrie - he, she, it
noi scriem - we
voi scrieți - you (dvs)
ei, ele scriu - they
16. a trimite - to send (tp=trimit - sent)
PREZENT
eu trimit - I send
tu trimiți - you send
el, ea trimite - he, she, it sends
noi trimitem - we send
voi trimiteți - you (dvs) send
ei, ele trimit- they send
17. a telefona (ez), a suna - to telephone, to call (tp=telefonat - telephoned, tp=sunat - called)
PREZENT - a telefona (ez)
eu telefonez - I telephone
tu telefonezi - you telephone
el, ea telefoneaza- he, she, it telephones
noi telefonam- we telephone
voi telefonați- you (dvs) telephone
ei, ele telefoneaza- they telephone
PREZENT - a suna
eu sun - I call
tu suni - you call
el, ea sună - he, she, it call
noi sunăm - we call
voi sunați- you (dvs) call
ei, ele sună- they call
18.a lucra (ez) - to work
PREZENT
eu lucrez - I work
tu lucrezi - you work
el, ea lucreaza - he, she, it works
noi lucrăm - we work
voi lucrați - you (dvs) work
ei, ele lucreaza - they work
19. a vedea - to see
PREZENT
eu vad- I see
tu vezi - you see
el, ea vede - he, she, it sees
noi vedem- we see
voi vedeți- you (dvs) see
ei, ele vad- they see
20. a se uita - to look at, to watch
PREZENT - Reflexive - a uita
(eu) mă uit - I watch, look at
(tu) te uiți - you watch, look at
(el, ea) se uită - he, she, it watches, look sat
(noi) ne uităm - we watch, look at
(voi) vă uitați - you (dvs) watch, look at
(ei, ele) se uită - they watch, look at
21. a auzi - to hear
PREZENT
eu aud - I hear
tu auzi - you hear
el, ea aude- he, she, it hears
noi auzim- we hear
voi auziți - you (dvs) hear
ei, ele aud - they hear
22. a asculta - to listen
PREZENT
eu ascult - I listen
tu asculți- you listen
el, ea ascultă - he, she, it listens
noi ascultăm - we listens
voi ascultați - you (dvs) listen
ei, ele ascultă - they listen
23. a merge, a se duce - to go (tp=mers, tp = dus)
PREZENT - a merge
eu merg - I
tu mergi - you
el, ea merge - he, she, it
noi mergem - we
voi mergeți - you (dvs)
ei, ele merg - they
PREZENT - Reflexive - a se duce
(eu) mă duc - I go
(tu) te duci - you go
(el, ea) se duce - he, she, it goes
(noi) ne ducem - we go
(voi) vă duceți - you (dvs) go
(ei, ele) se duc- they go
24. a pleca - to leave, depart (tp = plecat - left, went)
PREZENT
eu plec- I leave
tu pleci - you leave
el, ea pleacă - he, she, it leaves
noi plecăm - we leave
voi plecați - you (dvs) leave
ei, ele pleacă - they leave
25. a manca -to eat (tp = mâncat - ate)
PREZENT
eu mănânc - I eat
tu mănânci - you eat
el/ea mănâncă - he she it eats
noi mâncăm - we eat
voi mâncaţi - you (dvs) eat
ei/ele manâncă - they eat
26. a bea - to drink (tp = baut - drank)
PREZENT
eu beau - I drink
tu bei- you drink
el, ea bea - he, she, it drinks
noi bem - we drink
voi beți- you (dvs) drink
ei, ele beau - they drink
27. a plati (esc) - to pay
PREZENT
eu platesc- I pay
tu platesti - you pay
el, ea plateste - he, she, it pays
noi platim - we pay
voi platiți - you (dvs) pay
ei, ele platesc - they pay
28. a spune - to say, to tell (tp = spus - said, told)
PREZENT
eu spun - i say
tu spui - you say
el/ea spune - he she it says
noi spunem - we say
voi spuneţi - you (dvs) say
ei/ele spun - they say
29. a sta - to stay (tp = stat - stayed)
PREZENT
eu stau - I stay
tu stai - you stay
el, ea stă - he, she, it stays
noi stăm - we stay
voi stați - you (dvs) stay
ei, ele stau - they stay
30. a locui (esc) - to reside/live in a place (tp = locuit - resided, lived here)
PREZENT
eu locuiesc - I reside
tu locuiesti - you reside
el, ea locuieste - he, she, it resides
noi locuim - we reside
voi locuiți - you (dvs) reside
ei, ele locuiesc - they reside